Gas Services

Signs and Symptoms of Gas Leaks

Gas leaks pose a danger to the public due to their potential for fires, explosions, and poisoning. They also cause environmental pollution by releasing greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.Gas Leaks

Though natural gas itself is non-toxic, high concentrations in indoor spaces can make people sick by reducing the amount of oxygen available. The most common indicator of a gas leak is the smell. Contact Tidal Plumbing & Heating for professional help.

The most common symptom of a gas leak is the presence of a rotten egg smell. If you notice the odor of natural gas, evacuate the area and take everyone in your home with you, leaving doors open as you exit. Then, call the emergency hotline of your utility company from a safe location outside your home. Avoid making the phone call from inside your house or near appliances as you could ignite the gas.

Feeling sick and being unable to breathe are other symptoms of exposure to gas leaks. This is because natural gas replaces oxygen in the air and it causes these physical symptoms. Symptoms can vary and may include headaches, dizziness, nosebleeds, nausea, drowsiness, burning of the throat and eyes, itching of the skin and an inability to focus. The longer you are exposed, the worse these symptoms will become.

Some other clues of a gas leak include wilted or dead vegetation, the sound of escaping gases or a hissing noise, bubbles in standing water, and visible damage to the pipes and equipment that carry natural gas to your home. Additionally, a consistently higher than normal gas bill can indicate that there is a leak in your line. This is because the leaking gas escapes from the pipe rather than reaching your appliances and heating system, forcing the company to push more gas to your home to keep it running.

Lastly, be sure to watch for changes in your pets’ behavior. Affected animals may show signs of being disoriented, have red or watery eyes, act aggressively, vomit, or have a reduced appetite. You should also be aware that some pets, particularly dogs, can experience carbon monoxide poisoning when exposed to gas leaks.


Natural gas is a flammable substance that, in high concentrations, can be dangerous for both humans and animals. It can also cause explosions, kill vegetation, and lead to other types of damage and destruction in buildings. Because of this, it is important to understand the signs and symptoms of a gas leak so that you can take action quickly when one occurs.

The first sign of a gas leak is usually a strange smell. While natural gas is colorless, it has a distinctive odor similar to that of rotten eggs, which can help you detect it if the leak is close by. In addition to this, you may notice a whistling or hissing sound near your gas appliances or lines. This is caused by the escape of gas through a hole in your line or pipe.

A sudden increase in your utility bill is another common indication of a gas leak. This is because gas leaks can cause a significant decrease in oxygen levels in your home, which leads to higher utility bills and other related issues. Additionally, you may notice that your houseplants are wilting or dying. This is because the presence of gas prevents a plant’s roots from absorbing oxygen, leading to wilting and death.

When hissing sounds are heard near a gas leak, it is an indication that a high level of pressure is present in the area where the leak is occurring. This pressure can cause the leaking gases to form bubbles in water or other liquids. Using soap and a rag, you can test the presence of a gas leak by applying the solution to a water or liquid-filled pipe.

When there is a gas leak, it is essential to keep all windows and doors open so that the gas can escape. This will reduce the concentration in the area and make it less likely to explode if ignited. Individuals should also make sure that all flammable materials are stored far away from gas lines and appliances. Finally, individuals should keep a multipurpose fire extinguisher handy in case of an emergency.


A gas leak is a dangerous situation that requires immediate attention and must be fixed by a professional. Left untreated, even a small leak can cause carbon monoxide poisoning or a fire or explosion. If you suspect you have a gas leak, evacuate the area immediately and call your local utility company’s emergency number from a safe location. In addition to being a major safety risk, gas leaks contribute to environmental pollution by releasing methane into the atmosphere, a potent greenhouse gas.

Several factors can cause a gas leak, from faulty appliances to old and worn out pipes. Gas leaks can also be caused by a lack of maintenance, such as not cleaning burners or replacing filters on gas furnaces. Other causes include improper installation or construction, dirt getting into the piping, and corrosion on older black iron piping.

The most common sign of a gas leak is a strong rotten egg or sulfur smell. If you notice this smell, immediately evacuate the area and contact your gas provider’s emergency number from a safe location. You can also check for a leak by pouring soapy water over suspected connection points. Bubbles will form around areas where a leak is present.

Indoor gas leaks often occur near faulty or poorly fitted appliances such as stoves and boilers, or from a hose that connects an appliance to the pipe. Leaks can also occur in gas piping that delivers natural gas to your home from underground lines.

A noticeable increase in your energy bill can be another sign of a gas leak. This is because your heating system will need to work harder to keep the house warm, as there is a loss of energy efficiency due to the leak.

Outdoor gas leaks are most often caused by broken or damaged pipelines, or by digging into a line without calling 811. Before performing any landscaping or excavating, always call 811 to have all your utilities marked. This ensures you won’t accidentally break a gas line and cause an explosion. It’s also important to check with your local utility company periodically to make sure all piping is in good condition.


Gas leaks are dangerous and should always be treated seriously. They can cause carbon monoxide poisoning in people and animals, which leads to unconsciousness or death if too much is inhaled over time. People should regularly have their appliances and pipelines inspected by a certified inspector, who will use an adjusted electronic gas analyzer to check the system for leaks and other faults. They can also test for the presence of radon, which can be harmful to some individuals.

If a gas leak is detected, the affected individuals should leave the property immediately and seek professional help from a trusted local plumber. Do not go back inside until the professional has given you the all clear. Those with respiratory problems or health issues should be particularly careful, as the gases in the leak can make these conditions worse.

Most gas leaks are caused by a faulty seal in the joints of piping. This can happen if the pipes aren’t properly installed or if they are overworked. A plumber will use a special type of putty that can be applied to the joint to repair it.

A hissing sound around a house can also be a sign of a gas leak. It is important to get this fixed right away as it can lead to an explosion if someone comes close to the source of the leak. If possible, the individual should move things like furniture or other items away from the area where the gas is leaking.

The best way to prevent a gas leak is to ensure that all gas appliances are properly installed and maintained. People should also schedule yearly inspections of their gas appliances and pipelines. They should also store all chemicals and paints in a well-ventilated space and go through them at least once a year to dispose of any that are no longer needed.

Children and elderly adults are more at risk of developing symptoms from gas leaks because they take in less oxygen when breathing. People should also be sure to evacuate the premises if they smell or hear any signs of a gas leak, and make arrangements for them to stay with family members or friends while it is being repaired.